Volunteer Opportunity: Board Treasurer
Do you like numbers... and the outdoors?
The SaskOutdoors Board of Directors is seeking to a Treasurer. The Treasurer is a key member of the SaskOutdoors team, a passionate and committed group of people who are committed to nature and the outdoors. The Treasurer works closely with the General Manager and other Board members to ensure responsible and transparent financial management of the organization.
Time Committment: 5 - 8 hours per month (Board meetings and other duties as described below)
Term: Two years
The Treasurer will be responsible for:
- Financial transaction oversight: Verify that grants are handled appropriately; review invoices, cheques and bank statements; develop systems for keeping cash flow manageable.
- Financial records: Ensure that financial books and records are accurate and up-to-date.
- Funds and investments: Ensure that funds are retained in safe accounts/investments.
- Budgeting: Assist in the preparation of the annual budget and its presentation to the Board for review; monitor results and alert the Board to any important issues; discuss with the General Manager and the external auditor any potential problems or deficiencies.
- Reports: Oversee the development of monthly or quarterly financial statements and present these to the Board; ensure that an independent audit of the organization's finances takes place and assist with the development and presentation of the annual report to Board; inform the Board of important financial events, trends, issues.
- Financial policies: Follow existing financial policies and procedures and assist in the development of new policies/procedures and review of existing policies/procedures as needed.
- Advising: Advise the Board and General Manager on financial matters.
- Meetings: Attend monthly Board meetings (2.5 hours each) and participating in Board activities such as the annual AGM and Retreat.
- An accounting designation (or a suitable combination of knowledge & work experience).
- Have experience working with financial information, controls and budgeting.
- Experience with QuickBooks an asset.
- Able to clearly articulate financial information: procedures, processes and explain the context as to why they matter (especially to other Board members).
- Understanding of financial accounting for not-for-profit organizations an asset.
- Organized, detail-oriented, and a willingness to ask questions.
- Previous experience serving on a Board an asset.
- Interest in being an active member of a team.
- Maintain knowledge of the organization and personal commitment to its goals and objectives.
Training / Mentoring: The successful candidate will receive special training and support.
Contact: Christine Thompson, General Manager Email: email@example.com Tel: (306) 203-4882
This posting will remain open until the position is filled.